“One Book, One Community: Stillwater Reads True Grit" is designed to foster a sense of community through a shared arts and reading experience, and to broaden and deepen an appreciation of an historical period in U.S. and Oklahoma history.
- Online registration for "True Grit".
- Registration for the March 28 Western Writers' Colloquium is now open. Deadline is March 20.
- Artwork is now being submitted for the Western Heritage Art Show. Deadline is March 13 at 5 p.m.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Missed the kick-off? See it below!
- Online "True Grit" was written by Charles Portis and published in 1968.
- Series participants will receive a FREE copy of the book when they sign-up for a book discussion.
- People who require a Large Print copy or a CD copy may request to borrow one FREE through Interlibrary Loan.
- Three copies of the book are available on Oklahoma Virtual Library for eBook download.
- Sample the book:
Receive a free copy of “True Grit” when you sign-up for one of the following book discussions.
|DONE||March 16 (Monday)||6:30 p.m.||Stillwater Public Library||Sewing Circle|
|DONE||March 24 (Tuesday)||7 p.m.||Stillwater Public Library||Nicole Sump Crethar|
|DONE||March 25 (Wednesday)||10:30 a.m.||Senior Center||Pat Jaynes|
|FULL||March 26 (Thursday)||2 p.m.||Stillwater Public Library||Lynda Reynolds|
|FULL||March 31 (Tuesday)||Noon||Sheerar Museum||Pat Jaynes|
|April 1 (Wednesday)||6 p.m.||McAlister's Deli||Helen Clements|
|April 6 (Monday)||7 p.m.||Stillwater Public Library||Mary Larson|
|April 10 (Friday)||10 a.m.||Panera||Lynda Reynolds|
|April 12 (Sunday)||2 p.m.||Stillwater Public Library||David Oberhelman|
|FULL||April 14 (Tuesday)||7 p.m.||Stillwater Public Library||Barbara Miller|
|April 17 (Friday)||Noon||Sheerar Museum||Judy Hoberock|
|April 21 (Tuesday)||7 p.m.||Stillwater Public Library||Lynda Reynolds|
|April 23 (Thursday)||2:30 p.m.||Stillwater Public Library||Lynda Reynolds|
LEARN MORE ABOUT "TRUE GRIT"
- Discovering the True "True Grit" - a video about the truths behind the novel made by Pioneer Library System
- Charles Portis Biography - from the Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture
- True Grit Reader's Guide - analysis and discussion questions from the Big Read site
- U.S. Marshals - History of the U.S. Marshals Service
Funding Partners: This project is supported in part by an award from the National Endowment for the Arts.
Community Partners: Stillwater Public Schools, Oklahoma Territorial Plaza, Oklahoma Wondertorium Museum, Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, City of Stillwater Community Center, City of Stillwater Parks and Recreation, Multi Arts Center, Stillwater RoundUP, and OK Quality Printing.
OSU Partners: Center for Oklahoma Studies, OSU Allied Arts, OSU Library, Oklahoma Oral History Research Program, Special Collections and University Archives, OSU Native American Student Association, OSU Student Union Activities Board, Department of History, Department of English, Native American Faculty and Staff Association, and Gender and Women’s Studies.