Teen Summer Reading Program
Registration is now open!
The Teen Summer Reading Program includes weekly events and the opportunity to earn prizes for reading. Students going into grades 6-12 are eligible to participate.
Teens or their parents may register for the program at the Help Desk or online beginning May 16. Each reader will receive a bag with a suggested reading list, a brochure of events, and tracking sheets to help them keep track of their reading.
Track your time online using your Wandoo username and password. If you do not have access to a computer, or if you like keeping track on paper and then entering your time online all at once, paper trackers are included in your registration bag (you can also get extras here). You can then enter them online at any of the library catalog computers --librarians will be happy to show you how to track your time on Wandoo!
5 Hours of Reading
Once you have read 5 hours, and your time has been entered on Wandoo, you will receive one entry into the grand prize drawing plus one of the following prizes (while supplies last):
- Food or activity coupons
- Kicker Lanyard or window decal
- $3 off library fines
- Extra entry in the grand prize drawing
30 hours of reading
After logging 30 hours you can choose a free book!
Teen Summer T-Shirts
Everyone who registers for the teen summer reading program by 5 p.m. on June 5 will get a free summer reading t-shirt provided in part by Stillwater Screenprinting. T-shirts will be distributed at the June 8 & 15 programs. You must attend one of those programs to be eligible to get a shirt.
Notification of Physical Activity
This summer the theme of "Get in the Game" is loosely based on health and physical fitness. Teen programs will be more active than usual, so we are asking teens and parents to read this notification together.
Kick-off Pool Party - June 1
The teen program kicks-off Wednesday, June 1, from 6-8 p.m. with a private party at the Stillwater Municipal Pool. Teens will get to swim, hang out with friends and have a chance to win a waterproof Bluetooth docking station provided by Kicker and pool passes from Stillwater Parks and Recreation.
Family Fun Fest - June 5
Fitness demos, games, and prizes for the whole family! This event will be in the north parking lot from 2-4 p.m.
Weekly Programs - June 8-20
On Wednesdays in June and July from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m., the library hosts program just for teens. This summer's schedule includes:
- June 8, Laugh: Play the Game with OKC Improv - Play the game with OKC Improv’s small group comedy exercises and a group performance.
- June 15, Quidditch - Learn from Stillwater's OSU Quidditch Club! Make a broom, practice moves and play.
- June 22, Geek Out: Ok Science Museum - The OK Science Museum will challenge teens’ engineering, physics and survival skills.
- June 29, Bug Out: Insect Adventures and Maggot Art - Learn about awesome insects with OSU's Insect Adventures and use artistic skills to make maggot art.
- July 6, Use the Force: Jedi Boot Camp – Padawans will make a lightsaber, get meditation tips from a Jedi Master and more.
- July 13, Karate Chop: Ninja Academy - Learn about different types of martial arts and practice some moves with Elite Combat Systems.
- July 20, Cook: Cutthroat Kitchen – Who has what it takes for Cutthroat Kitchen? Join the healthy cooking contest with Payne County Extension.
Finale - July 27: Come to the Roller Dome for skating, frozen yogurt from Orange Leaf, and laser tag!
The program wraps up on July 27 with the end of summer party at the Roller Dome. Participants can skate, play laser tag, eat frozen yogurt from Orange Leaf, and find out if they are the winner of the grand prize or one of the Top 30 readers!
Grand Prize and Weekly Drawings
Each weekly program will have drawings for small prizes including White Barn Fun Park passes, Kicker headphones, books, and themed prizes. At the summer finale, all submitted challenges, extra entries, and time read will be compiled and winners for the grand prize will be drawn. One grand prize winner will get to choose one of the following prizes (valued at approximately $400 each):
- Xbox One
- Playstation 4
- Academy Sports Gift Certificate
- Daddy O's Gift Certificate
Top 30 Readers
The 30 teens who read the most this summer will be invited to play after hours laser tag at the library on Saturday, July 30.
To be eligible for prizes, prize drawings, the grand prize, and the Top 30 laser tag prizes, teens must be going into grades 6-12 in the fall AND meet at least one of the following criteria:
- live, work, or go to school in Payne County
- live within 30 miles of Stillwater
- be visiting Payne County in person for at least half of the summer