Teen readers ´Get in the Game' during ´Summer @ Your Library'
(STILLWATER, OKLA. / May 10, 2016) – Young adults will have their calendars stuffed full of fascinating programs and their pockets full of prizes when they join the Stillwater Public Library’s teen summer reading program, “Get in the Game. READ!” Sign-up begins May 16.
“’Get in the Game’ is exclusively for readers going into grades 6-12,” said Amanda Bell, teen librarian. “The book lists, weekly programs and prizes are all designed to make teens want to spend their summer reading.”
The program kicks-off Wednesday, June 1, from 6-8 p.m. with a private party at the Stillwater Municipal Pool. Teens will get to swim, hang out with new friends and have a chance to win a docking station provided by Kicker and pool passes from Parks and Recreation.
Participants will be reading throughout the summer to earn prizes. According to Bell, the prizes this summer are bigger than ever.
“Our prizes this year will definitely make young adults want to get into the game of reading. Not only do they earn prizes for every five hours they read, but they can also earn a free book at thirty hours of reading and multiple entries into our huge grand prize drawing.”
After every five hours of reading, teens get one chance in the grand drawing. They also get to choose one additional prize, including a food or activity coupon, $3 library fine waiver, Kicker lanyard or an extra entry into the final drawing.
The end of summer grand prize is the winner’s choice of an X-Box One, PlayStation 4, Laptop, gift card to Academy Sports or gift card to Daddy O’s. Final prize choices are valued at approximately $400.
Each teen who registers for the summer reading club by June 5, will receive a free summer reading t-shirt, which will be given out at the June 8 and June 15 programs. Weekly programs take place Wednesdays from 2:30-4:30 p.m. and include:
- June 8, Laugh: Play the Game with OKC Improv - Play the game with OKC Improv’s small group comedy exercises and a group performance.
- June 15, Quidditch - Learn from Stillwater's OSU Quidditch Club! Make a broom, practice moves and play.
- June 22, Geek Out: Ok Science Museum - The OK Science Museum will challenge teens’ engineering, physics and survival skills.
- June 29, Bug Out: Insect Adventures and Maggot Art - Learn about awesome insects with OSU's Insect Adventures and use artistic skills to make maggot art.
- July 6, Use the Force: Jedi Boot Camp – Padawans will make a lightsaber, get meditation tips from a Jedi Master and more.
- July 13, Karate Chop: Ninja Academy - Learn about different types of martial arts and practice some moves with Elite Combat Systems.
- July 20, Cook: Cutthroat Kitchen – Who has what it takes for Cutthroat Kitchen? Join the healthy cooking contest with Payne County Extension.
Each of these weekly programs will have drawings for prizes including books, Kicker earbuds, and prizes that coordinate with the week’s program.
The program wraps up on July 27 with the end of summer party at the Roller Dome. Participants can skate, play laser tag and find out if they are the winner of the grand prize.
The Top 30 readers of the summer will also be announced at the finale. These readers will be invited to a special Laser Tag Party held at the library on Aug. 1.