The library provides many resources to help you complete your taxes quickly.
2014 Federal Tax Items Ordered and/or Received
NOTICE! The IRS will only provide forms 1040, 1040EZ and 1040A to libraries. No other forms and no instructions will be available in hardcopies. SOME business forms will be available.
All tax products, except for ones in duplicate and triplicate, are available to print online at the IRS website.
Tax items are located at the back wall of the library behind the internet terminals.
The Oklahoma Tax Commission started providing 511 packets again. We have 511 packets for residents and non-residents available.
To get hardcopies of other Oklahoma tax items, please visit the Oklahoma Tax Commission webpage or call 1-800-522-8165.
AARP Tax Aide Assistance
AARP volunteers are available February through April 15 to assist in completing and filing tax forms. The free service takes place Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 1-4 p.m.on a first come, first served basis. To assist in quick completition of your returns, please be sure to bring the following items:
- Social Security Cards for the taxpayer, spouse, and dependents.
- Photo identification such as a driver’s license.
- A copy of the past Tax Year Federal and State income tax returns.
- Birth dates for primary and secondary taxpayers, and dependents.
- Wage and earning statement(s) Forms W-2, W-2G (gambling winnings), 1099-G (unemployment compensation), from all sources.
- 1099-R, CSA 1099-R, and/or RRB 1099-R if receiving pension/annuity.
- 1099 Misc. received, e.g. self-employment or other income.
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099s) and any Brokerage Consolidated Statements.
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit.
- If itemized deductions might exceed the standard deduction, bring records and information covering qualified expenses for Medical, Mortgage Interest paid, Taxes Paid, Gifts to Charity, Job Expenses and Miscellaneous Deductions, and Other Miscellaneous Deductions such as gambling losses up to gambling winnings.
- Total amount paid for Day Care and Provider’s identifying number and statement.
- Tuition and Fees information including Form 1098-T (Tuition Statement).
Tax-Aide volunteers are authorized to prepare returns for which they are trained and IRS certified. The following type of returns are out-of-scope:
- Returns for farmers, ranchers, military, and non-resident aliens.
- Property rentals such as houses and mobile homes with depreciation.
- Businesses except self-employment with a net gain, no employees, and business expenses of $10,000 or less.
- Pipeline rights of way and easements on a farm or ranch requiring Form 4797 or settlements for crop damage to be reported on Schedule F.
Taxpayers must be present at the Tax-Aide site for assistance and sign Form 8879. If filing Married Filing Jointly, one spouse can be present but will need to obtain the other spouse’s signature and return with the form so that the signature can be verified by a Tax-Aide volunteer.
Free Online Filing Tools for Qualified Taxpayers
The IRS provides free tax preparation for many taxpayers through the Free File Alliance, a service comprised of 19 tax preparation software companies working with the IRS to provide the Free File Program (http://www.freefile.irs.gov/). The mission is to provide an alternate way for moderate to lower income families to prepare and file their income taxes online in a fast, free, and safe way. The federal return is free if eligibility requirements are met. A nominal fee may be charged for the corresponding state return.
A similar service, MyFreeTaxes is available at http://www.myfreetaxes.com/spl and has a few more tools to help taxpayers prepare the information they will need to file.
The library's internet computers are available for filing tax returns online. Filers may use two sessions per day and each session will last a guaranteed one hour. If no other users are waiting for a computer, filers may continue to on the same session in 15 minutes increments.
- http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/State-Links-1 - provides links to each state's taxing agency. Use the links to find online state tax forms.
- http://taxtopics.net - links to some of the most helpful webpages and explanations on a wide array of tax topics.
- http://online.wsj.com/public/page/news-personal-finance-taxes.html - keep up with current tax law changes and analysis for how changes may affect your finances.