The library provides many resources to help you complete your taxes quickly.
NOTICE! The IRS will be sending the library a LIMITED number of forms again this year, including the following:
|Arrived at Library?|
|1040 A Instruc.||YES|
|1040 EZ Form||YES|
|1040 EZ Instruc.||YES|
The IRS will no longer provide the library employment related forms such as W-2, 1099 MISC, or 1096. You may call 1-800-829-3676 to request copies, as the versions available online are not eligible for mail in.
We do not know when items will arrive, but we stock them as soon as we receive them. In the immediate past years, many items have not arrived until the end of Jan.
All tax products, except for ones in duplicate and triplicate, are available to print online at the IRS website. You can also call 1-800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676) and request copies to be sent to you via mail.
Tax items are located at the back wall of the library behind the internet terminals.
The Oklahoma Tax Commission started providing 511 resident and non-resident packets again.
number of forms, including the following:
|Tax Product we will receive||Arrived at Library?|
|511 Resident Packets||YES|
|511 Non-resident Packet||YES|
To get hardcopies of other Oklahoma tax items, please visit the Oklahoma Tax Commission webpage or call 1-800-522-8165.
AARP Tax Aide Assistance
AARP volunteers are available February 6 through April 18, 2017 to assist in completing and filing tax forms. The free service takes place Mondays, 9:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.; Tuesdays, 1-6:30 p.m.; and Wednesdays, 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. on a first come, first served basis. To assist in quick completition of your returns, please be sure to bring the following items:
- Last year’s tax return(s)
- Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and every individual on your return.
- Photo I.D. required for all taxpayers.
- Checkbook if you want to direct deposit any refund(s).
- W-2 from each employer
- Unemployment compensation statements
- SSA-1099 Form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099, Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits
- 1099 Forms reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets
- 1099-R Form if you received a pension, annuity, or IRA distribution
- 1099-MISC Forms
- Information about other forms of Income
- State or local income tax refunds
- ACA Forms 1095-A
- Gambling winnings
- Student 1098T
All forms and canceled checks indicating federal and state income tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments)
Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information:
- 1098 Form showing any home mortgage interest
- A list of medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), a list of prescription medicines, costs of assisted living services, and bills for home improvements such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities
- Summary of contributions to charity
- Receipts or canceled checks for all quarterly or other paid tax
- Property Tax bills and proof of payment
- 1095A Forms if you purchased insurance through the Marketplace (Exchange)
- 1095B/1095C Forms (if applicable)
- Any exemption correspondence from the Marketplace (if applicable)
- Dependent care provider information (name, employer ID, or Social Security number)
- 1098-T and 1098-E Forms (Tuition and Student Loan Interest)
Tax-Aide volunteers are authorized to prepare returns for which they are trained and IRS certified. The following type of returns are out-of-scope:
- Returns for farmers, ranchers, military, and non-resident aliens.
- Property rentals such as houses and mobile homes with depreciation.
- Businesses except self-employment with a net gain, no employees, and business expenses of $10,000 or less.
- Pipeline rights of way and easements on a farm or ranch requiring Form 4797 or settlements for crop damage to be reported on Schedule F.
Taxpayers must be present at the Tax-Aide site for assistance and sign Form 8879. If filing Married Filing Jointly, one spouse can be present but will need to obtain the other spouse’s signature and return with the form so that the signature can be verified by a Tax-Aide volunteer.
Free Online Filing Tools for Qualified Taxpayers
The IRS provides free tax preparation for some taxpayers at https://www.irs.gov/uac/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free.
A similar service, MyFreeTaxes is available at http://www.myfreetaxes.com/spl.
The library's internet computers are available for filing tax returns online. Filers may use two sessions per day and each session will last a guaranteed one hour. If no other users are waiting for a computer, filers may continue to on the same session in 15 minutes increments.
- http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/State-Links-1 - provides links to each state's taxing agency. Use the links to find online state tax forms.
- http://taxtopics.net - links to some of the most helpful webpages and explanations on a wide array of tax topics.
- http://online.wsj.com/public/page/news-personal-finance-taxes.html - keep up with current tax law changes and analysis for how changes may affect your finances.