June class registration will be up on this site beginning May 15.
Simple Steps to Better Health is a five month series to help our community members better understand their health through activities and resources. The series has been made possible through a grant from the Institute of Museums and Library Services (IMLS) and the Oklahoma Department of Libraries (ODL).
Each month, a new health topic will be covered:
The health topics were chosen based on grades Payne County received on the 2014 State of the State Health Report (page 111). Payne County scored a "D" or "F" grade in the five areas being covered.
Each month, participants can choose to complete any of the following five steps. We challenge you to complete at least 3 steps each month:
- STEP 01: Health class (Health class attendees receive prizes! The Feb. prizes are free water bottles!)
- STEP 02: Tai Chi (Must attend one other non-Tai Chi class each month to qualify for enrollment)
- STEP 03: Healthy cooking class (Cooking demo with tasty, nutritous samples!)
- STEP 04: Self-report health evaluation (Download an evaluation or Take the evaluation online)
- STEP 05: Change a habit (The list of suggested habit changes will be provided at the monthly health classes. If you are not attending a health class, the monthly list of habit changes will be posted on the 15th of each month).
Registration for each month's health, healthy cooking, and Tai Chi classes will be posted on the 15th of the month before (ex. March's class registration will be posted on Feb. 15).
You will keep track of your steps on our Simple Steps Activity Tracker. After you register, you will need to pick up your tracker at the Help Desk. If you lose your tracker, you can download another (it is 11 x 17 - tabloid sized).
For parents with children: Some health and healthy cooking classes include a children's yoga program. You will see these opportunities when you complete your monthly online registration form. Children must be five years or older to attend. They are also posted under each of the month's health topic links.
Turn in your completed steps by the end of the last day of the month. Stop by, call (405-372-3633 x8106), or email the Help Desk to report the steps you completed (Your health evaluation will have to be brought by in person or emailed to us).
- Feb. - Voucher for Athletic Shoes from the Stillwater Public Library Trust
- March - Therapeutic massage from Magic Touch Massage Therapy
- April - Food steamer from Crepe Myrtle Asian Food Market
- May - Blood pressure monitor from Knight Medical Supply
- June - Two $25 giftcards for fruits & vegetable purchase from Food Pyramid
Prizes must be picked up within one month or will be returned into the prize pool for redrawing.
Thank you to our supportive community sponsors!
- Payne County Health Department
- Payne County OSU Extension
- TSET Healthy Living Program
- Stillwater Medical Center
- Stillwater Public Library Trust
- Oklahoma Health Care Authority
- City of Stillwater Wellness Program
The internet contains many helpful sites that provide medical information. The internet also contains many sites that contain inaccurate information. The Stillwater Public Library staff recommends the following sites to learn more about the Simple Step health topics:
- Registration has started. Please sign up here.