(STILLWATER, OKLA. / Jan. 2, 2017) –– The 2017 schedule of programs for a local retirees series includes everything from volunteering and local senior services to caregiving and long-term living options. The series restarts Wednesday, Jan. 18, at 1:30 p.m., when “Making the Most of Retirement” introduces its first session, “Tutoring for the Stillwater Literacy Council” with director Arlene Devers.
Devers will discuss how retirees can become volunteers who teach Stillwater community members how to read and write.
“There is plenty of need for more volunteers,” said Devers. “Currently we have 22 active tutors are teaching over 70 students. But we also have 21 students on the waiting list for a tutor.”
Volunteers begin with an orientation and then are assigned a student. Over the course of the year, volunteers receive about 9 hours of classes to learn how to help people read and write. Most of the students are learning English as a second language.
“Volunteers make new friends with people from across the globe,” said Devers. “The work is very satisfying. Tutors are helping someone learn a crucial skill and helping other people learn to help themselves.”
According to Devers, volunteers typically work with their student for one hour a week. Most tutors continue teaching a student for as long as they need, typically two years.
“Making the Most of Retirement” meets the third Wednesday of each month. Upcoming programs include:
- Feb. 15, Jacqui Lutterbie - “Services Available at Stillwater’s Life Center”
- March 15, Betsey Weaver - “Brookdale Senior Living in Stillwater.”
- April 19, Lisa Eckles - “Volunteering at Stillwater Medical Center” and Whitney Johnson - “Volunteering at Karman Korner Resale Store”
- May 17, Pamela Murphy -“Social Services Available to Stillwater’s Seniors”
- June 21, Louise Schroeder - “Planning for Costs Related to Caregiving”
- July 19, Toni Wolfe -“Stillwater’s Primrose Retirement Community”
All local retirees are invited to attend the free programs.
For more information, visit http://retiredinstillwater.wordpress.com or contact the library at 405-372-3633 x106 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Stillwater Public Library is located at 1107 S. Duck St. (the corner of Duck and 12th Ave.). Visit the library online at http://library.stillwater.org.