Free tax help at the library begins Feb. 3
(STILLWATER, OKLAHOMA / Jan. 24, 2020) – Need help filing taxes this year? Volunteers from the AARP’s Tax-Aide Program will offer free tax preparation services from Feb. 3 through April 15 at the Stillwater Public Library. Assistance will be available Mondays from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesdays from 12:30 to 4 p.m. and Wednesdays from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. This year they will also offer the service on three Saturday mornings: Feb. 15, Mar. 14 and April 11.
According to Library Director Stacy DeLano, the AARP tax service is one of the most beneficial programs the library hosts for the Stillwater community.
“The AARP volunteer tax assistance is amazing,” DeLano said. “As the tax process continues to move to an online format, we see an increase in the number of people needing help. The AARP volunteers are well-trained, patient, professional, and of course free.
No appointments are needed. The tax assistance is first come, first served. Community members using the tax preparation service need to bring the following items with them:
- Proof of identification – Picture ID
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must sign the required forms but only one spouse has to be present
The library’s internet computers are available for filing tax forms online without assistance. The library has received copies of the IRS 1040 and 1040-SR form booklets and expects to receive 1040 instruction booklets within the next couple of weeks. These materials are free. The Oklahoma Tax Commission discontinued sending 511 booklets this year.
“We have seen a decrease in the number of paper forms made available to public places like libraries over the last several years,” DeLano said. “But, librarians are more than happy to find and print tax forms. Just visit the help desk for assistance.”
Find federal tax forms online at www.irs.gov/forms and Oklahoma tax forms at www.ok.gov/tax. Librarians at the help desk can print out tax forms for $.10 per page. Some federal forms that have duplicates, such as the W-2, 1099 MISC and 1096, must be requested from www.irs.gov or by phone at 1-800-829-3676.Get more information about free AARP tax help, helpful tax sites and more at http://library.stillwater.org/taxes.php.