Children's Summer Reading Program
In Mid-May each year, the library will open registration to its summer reading program. Children or their parents may fill out an enrollment card, return it to the Children’s Reference Desk/Volunteer’s Table, and pick up a summer reading club packet.
Children are encouraged to read during their summer vacation and can earn prizes by doing so. Readers will keep track of how much time they read on logs provided in their packet. Each log has icons that should be marked for every minute minutes a child reads or is read to by a caregiver. Logs should be turned in at the volunteer table for the following rewards:
- Every 5 hours read (or read to) - receive a food coupon (while supplies last).
- Completing 10 hours - receive a certificate of achievement at the Awards Ceremony in July. Member’s name will also be sent to school principal notifying him/her of member’s accomplishment.
- Completing 15 hours or more - member’s name will be entered in an end of summer drawing for a gift card from Sylvan Learning Center.
- Completing 20 hours or more - member's name will be entered in an end of summer drawing for a classroom visit from Monty Harper.
- Completing 30 hours of more - member's name will be entered in an end of summer drawing for a mystery Grand Prize.
Live performances by children's entertainers such as theater troupes, clowns, magicians, storytellers, dancers and more. Performances are held each Tuesday in June and July at 10 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 3:30 p.m. and take place in the Augitorium on the second floor of the meeting room building. Please observe these guidelines for performances:
- Performances have limited seating and are available on a first come, first served basis.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes early. 3:30 p.m. performances usually have the most open seating.
- Children under 5 must be accompanied by an adult in the performance room.
- Children ages 6-8 must have an adult present in the library building.
The library issues a free T-Shirt Logo Coupon with each reading packet. The Chris' University Spirit coupon is good for one free logo that will be professionally ironed on to your own T-shirt. Children should wear their summer t-shirts to the programs to be eligible to enter drawings for a prize (only one drawing entry per day).
A weekly drawing will be held at closing on Fridays. All summer reading club members are encouraged to visit the library each week to enter the drawing. Winners will be notified by phone each week.