Children's Summer Reading Program
In Mid-May each year, the library will open registration to its summer reading program. Children or their parents may register online or at the library. Once the form is complete pick up a summer reading club packet at the library. All reading prizes will be handed out at the library and hours will only be counted for registered participants.Reading Program
Children are encouraged to read during their summer vacation and can earn prizes by doing so. Readers will keep track of how much time they read on logs provided in their packet. Each log has icons that should be marked for every 15 minutes a child reads or is read to by a caregiver.
Need additional logs? Click here.
Logs should be turned in at the volunteer table for the following rewards:
- Every 5 hours read (or read to) - receive a food or activity coupon (while supplies last).
- Completing 10 hours - receive a certificate of achievement and a free book at the Awards Ceremony in July. Member’s name will also be sent to school principal notifying him/her of member’s accomplishment.
- Completing 15 hours or more - member’s name will be entered in an end of summer drawing for a gift card sponsored by Sylvan Learning Center.
- Completing 20 hours or more - member's name will be entered in an end of summer drawing for a classroom visit from Monty Harper.
- Completing 30 hours of more - member's name will be entered in an end of summer drawing for
The Award Ceremony
The Award Ceremony will be held on July 25th at 10 a.m., 1:30 p.m. & 6:30 p.m. Children who have read 10 or more hours will be invited to attend the Award Ceremony. We ask that families with last names starting with A-L attend the 10 a.m. ceremony and last names starting with M-Z attend the 1:30 p.m. ceremony.
Live performances by children's entertainers such as theater troupes, clowns, magicians, storytellers, dancers and more. Performances are held each Tuesday in June and July at 10 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m. and take place in the Auditorium on the second floor of the meeting room building.
Evening performances will be held at 6:30 p.m. There will be no evening performance of the operetta.
Please observe these guidelines for performances:
- Performances have limited seating and are available on a first come, first served basis.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes early. 3:30 p.m. & 6:30 p.m. performances usually have the most open seating.
- Children under 5 must be accompanied by an adult in the performance room.
- Children ages 6-8 must have an adult present in the library building.
- Doors will close when we reach capacity. We are unable to let people exit and re-enter once the doors have closed.
Download a copy of the summer brochure.
Download an extra summer flyer.
2017 Summer Performers
|June 6||Spirit of Oklahoma Operetta*|
|June 13||Jammin Randy Show (music)|
|June 20||Magician Kevin Wade|
|June 27||Tom Sawyer Marionettes|
|July 4||LIBRARY CLOSED|
|July 11||Monty Harper (music)|
|July 18||Mad Science Engineering|
|*no 6:30 showing of Operetta|
Family friendly films (rated G or PG) will be shown on the big screen in the auditorium on Thursdays at 10am & 1:30pm. One bag of popcorn per person will be provided. We encourage everyone to bring a water bottle which we can refill with ice water. Movies will start on and run through.
The library issues a free T-Shirt Logo Coupon with each reading packet. The Chris' University Spirit coupon is good for one free logo that will be professionally ironed on to your own T-shirt. Children should wear their current summer t-shirts to the programs to be eligible to enter drawings for a prize (only one drawing entry per day).
A weekly drawing will be held at closing on Fridays. All summer reading club members are encouraged to visit the library each week to enter the drawing. Winners will be notified by phone each week.
Friends of the Stillwater Public Library, Institutue of Museum and Library Services, Oklahoma Department of Libraries
Arvest Bank, Chris' University Spirit, Cockrell EyeCare Center, Monty Harper, Sonic
Chipotle, Frontier Lanes, Mazzio's Pizza, McDonalds, OnCue, Sirloin Stockade, Texas Roadhouse, Wendy's, What-a-burger, Youth Fitness Zone