About Stillwater Public Library
Your library is an essential source of knowledge and offers equal access for everyone in the community, providing educational resources for all ages and pursuits. It serves this community as a reliable technology and information center. The library is vitally important and can open doors as well as expand horizons throughout our lives. Your library supports literacy and lifelong learning.
The Stillwater Public Library is...
A Community of Information
- We foster the open exchange of ideas through a variety of formats
- We select and make accessible materials that support our patrons and their needs
- We equip our patrons with the tools necessary to seek out, process, and evaluate information
A Community of Service
- We provide a professional and well trained staff
- We value staff members who are friendly, approachable, and provide quality customer service
- We are passionate about meeting all people at their point of need and serving them
A Community of Accessibility
- We strive to be a gathering place that is welcome to all
- We provide services to people of varied backgrounds and needs
- We offer convenient and equal access to all materials, computers, programs, and information
A Community of Technology
- We offer cutting edge technology to give our patrons every opportunity to succeed
- We are investigating new technologies with an eye toward the future of libraries and how we can continue to improve our services
- We are committed to the expansion of virtual service that brings the library to the patron 24/7
...your community library.
As a core community service, the Stillwater Public Library will provide equal access to the best source of information, current technology, quality collections, outstanding programs, and exceptional service.
Transforming lives through the power of information.
The Stillwater Public Library was founded in 1922 by the Stillwater Woman's Club with dues of $1 per year being charged. A year later the club opened Stillwater's first public library in the former parsonage of the United Brethren Church paying $20 per month in rent. The Club organized a book drive, sorted and classified books, and served as librarians. Later that same year, the City of Stillwater agreed to assume financial responsibility for the public library by hiring Harriet Woodring for $25 a month to keep the library open 3 hours a day and establishing a Library Board and building fund. Mrs. I.O. Diggs, from the Woman's Club, was appointed to the newly formed Library Board.
In 1926, the W. T. Keys home, located at the corner of 6th Avenue and Husband, was purchased for $10,500 to house the Library. In April of 1937, Stillwater voters approved 3 to 1 the construction of a 12,000 square foot library at the same location for $60,000. Built with an additional $82,500 Public Works Administration grant, the Library at 206 West 6th Avenue was opened to the public on September 21, 1938 and formally dedicated October 16. The new library featured an auditorium, shelving for 22,000 books, and seating for 100 people in the reading room.
On August 10, 1944, Mrs. Ruth Simank, Miss Harriet McElderry, Librarian, and Mr. Edmon Low were appointed as a committee with Mrs. Valerie Ward and Mr. Lee Ward, of Washington School, for the purpose of establishing a branch library. In July 1945, the City Commissioners allowed $1,000. The School Board was to furnish housing quarters and the branch librarian's salary while the main library was to buy books, periodicals and supplies. The branch library was soon set up in the annex of Washington School. In May, 1947, the branch had a collection of 696 volumes, annual subscriptions to 30 periodicals, and four newspapers, with a total book circulation in 1946-47 of 5,246.
The branch library suffered devastating material losses after floods in 1957 and 1959 which destroyed over 90% of the books, leaving only 308 volumes. Although efforts were made to replace the collection, after much discussion the decision was made April 27, 1961 to close the Washington Branch Library on June 30th of that year.
During the 1960s and 1970s, the Stillwater Public Library underwent a number of renovations including conversion of the basement auditorium into a children's department, addition of a mezzanine, and expansion of parking facilities. The library expanded to 13,500 square feet.
On November 20, 1990 Stillwater voters passed a $4.98 million bond issue for the construction of a new public library at 1107 S. Duck. The new facility included the renovation of the existing Stillwater South High School and construction of a new 27,500 square foot building giving the library a grand total of 50,400 square feet. The library opened its new doors to the public on April 8, 1994 with a formal dedication on May 14.
Today, the Stillwater Public Library provides the latest technological services while maintaining its traditional, core collections. The library provides free wireless service and twenty-six internet accessible computers. The Library hosts an additional 10 computers in its lab as well as a state of the art video conferencing center for a variety of programs, classes and meetings. Extensive online services and resources are available including full text journals, e-books, audio books, account management, and reference services. The library's core collection numbers over 90,000 volumes and includes books, audio books, music CDs, DVDs, magazines and newspapers. Special collections include Multi-Language, Graphic Novels, Genealogy, and Local government and historical documents.
An Outreach Program delivers library materials to homebound patrons, assisted living facilities and daycares. Programs for children, teens and adults are available throughout the year, including an extensive summer reading program. Unique to the Stillwater Public Library is an exceptional and technologically enabled meeting room facility with seven rooms and a large prep kitchen designed to host meetings, conferences, seminars, workshops, receptions, weddings and small conventions.
On November 18, 2010, the Library dedicated the only known statue of Oklahoma Historian, Angie Debo, on the front lawn. Dr. Debo was selected due to her international recognition for books on Oklahoma's Native Americans, her work at the Oklahoma State University Library, and her home in nearby Marshall, Oklahoma. Surrounding the base of the statue are the 38 seals of Oklahoma's federally recognized Native American tribes highlighting Dr. Debo's commitment to fighting for the civil rights of American Indians.